Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Music Marketing the Second (and Last)

I really enjoyed all aspects of this project. Using the research on the current face of pop music marketing and distribution was particularly helpful in turning it all from theory to “this is actually how the music industry works.” For example, dissecting Doja Cat’s marketing strategy was fascinating: she leveraged her social media savvy into an entire career, in a barely-precedented way. Some people get famous by luck; some people understand TikTok so intimately that they cement themselves as a central player in the cultural canon. 

My favorite part was probably the cinematography, especially where we got to play with Keira (my groupmate)’s projector lights. Directing by the metaphorical resonance of certain colors/patterns was (forgive me) enLIGHTening. For example, we trained the red/blue lights more directly on the actors for the content/close/all-is-well clips, and spaced them out for a more muddy, muted, purplish wash when the relationship was growing distant. I hope to employ that technical direction and planned mise-en-scene in my portfolio project, even though a film opening leaves less room for avant garde visuals than a music video.

Here’s a link to the Canva presentation for the project-- admittedly, I feel that it’s lacking in some background/genre detail, so I’ll make note to rectify that in my portfolio project.

Also, I set out to attach clips of the raw footage, but shoddy school Wi-Fi disagreed with this ambition. As such, here’s a link to a folder with some samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Omniscient robot assistant, play "I Know the End" by Phoebe Bridgers

Final bow. See my CCR on Drive. Matcha love. <3