Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Sounds Good

This is going to be another “doing things in a weird order is better than not doing them” moment.

I’ve begun exploring sound elements. Well, really just music-- I can hardly talk about foley before I shoot. I’ve been saving songs that remind me of the tone I’m going for with Matcha, and that turned into a playlist. Before I fell too far in love with any of these concepts, I did poke around YouTube’s free music library to find some wistful soft-pop tracks, matching the sound that came up over and over again when I was doing my genre research (it’s like everyone from 2012-2022 graduated high school to the sound of Grouplove or Bleachers). My “starred” (saved) tracks are shown below-- a pretty even mix of what could work for the car vs. the cafe. I understand that these will be the far likelier contenders for my soundtrack (for copyright reasons), but hey, a girl can dream.

Less realistically… here’s what Matcha sounds like to me.

  • “Valentine” by Lala Lala- Audrey and Veda’s first dance together towards the end of a formative night with Veda’s friend group
  • “Coffee” by Sylvan Esso- running in the rain together after a kiss
  • “​Long Way To Go To Die” by LP- Audrey watching Veda leave for Georgia → end credits
  • “Mr. Sellack” by The Roches- stupid, sweet, simple montage of innocous moments (breakfast, walking) → decreasingly content, tensions rise, montage ends with both of them upset
  • “Both Sides Now” by Judy Collins- end credits (if not “Long Way to Go to Die”)
  • “Tea, Milk & Honey” by Oh Pep!- intimacy
  • “I Can’t Tell What the Time is Telling Me” by And The Kids- resolution
  • “This Will Be Our Year” by Dear Nora- maybe immediately after fight (Audrey crying), maybe end credits, maybe resolution. Kind of the whole film, in my imagination
  • “Eulogy for You and Me” by Tanya Davis- the opening credits, in a world where I’m braver
  • “Sexy Villian” by Remi Wolf- casual hangout scene early on
  • “Chicago - Live” by The Staves- first kiss
(Lots of lyrics about love and running out of time, lots of sounds like traditional coming-of-age indie pop)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Omniscient robot assistant, play "I Know the End" by Phoebe Bridgers

Final bow. See my CCR on Drive. Matcha love. <3