Tuesday, March 8, 2022

I’m such a scoundrel.

I raided my mom’s closet for props/costume items, and between the fruits of that labor and my own cabinet of curiosities, I’ve got a good deal of design done. I still have to make Audrey’s nametag and find a proper watch, but I have pins for her apron, a couple options for rearview mirror hangies, earrings, and a shirt. I’ve got Veda’s jewelry, tote bag, and books— the classics pictured below match Veda and Audrey’s respective color palettes, vibe, and characters (Kate, the witty and silver-tongued leading lady, and Anne, the meek romantic with Austenian bad luck, are very much V and A), although I know only Veda would actually be shown holding a book.

I want to elaborate on a couple of decisions in these layouts. 1: they’re both wearing watches, a detail through which I’m trying to establish the theme of time (clock on the wrist = physical manifestation of the feeling of being manacled by time, or lack thereof, which is kiiiinda what dooms their relationship). 2: one of Audrey’s pins says “PINK SKIES UP AHEAD.” Aside from the metaphorical resonance of her being pink-coded (explained in previous posts), it's a not-so-subtle expression of her optimism, and foreshadowing* for a later scene in which Audrey and Veda dance under a pink sky. If I’m allowed to show extremely mild gore, I think it would be super meaningful for Audrey to accidentally prick herself when she’s putting the pins on her apron; “pink skies up ahead” literally making you bleed is a hell of a way to say that Audrey’s optimism can slip into naivety and end up hurting her.

Audrey

Veda

*But, you know, the kind of foreshadowing that only makes sense upon a re-watch. I love those details in media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Omniscient robot assistant, play "I Know the End" by Phoebe Bridgers

Final bow. See my CCR on Drive. Matcha love. <3